Nemzetközi Repülőversenyek (International Flying Contests)
Budapest, Hungary, June 5th - 17th, 1910

The most expensive aviation meeting of 1910

The Hungarian version of the meeting poster. There were also German and French versions.
A view towards the south from the main grandstands, with the hangars in the background. Michel Efimoff's Farman looks like it has been retouched into the photo. (1)
Mihály Székely's machine is being assembled, while a carpenter is laminating a propeller blank in the foreground. (2)
Karl Illner in the cockpit of his machine. The Budapest meeting was the public debut of the famous Etrich "Taube", which would be produced in different versions well into WW1 and copied by several producers. (3)
Many umbrellas on the cheap open grandstands... (1)
Alfred de Pischof (in German known as Alfred Ritter von Pischof) in front of his "Autoplan" The logo on the side of the machine is that of the producer Werner & Pfleiderer. (4)
André Frey in his Sommer, with a rather characteristic pylon to the right. (5)
Retrieving one of the Antoinettes from the puddles. (1)
"Baronesse" Raymonde de Laroche (real name Elise Deroche) in the cockpit of her Voisin. (2)
The baronesse washing her hands on the airfield with water from a hose - hardly aristocratic behaviour... (2)
Efimoff and Louis Paulhan flying, with dramatic clouds in the background. (1)
The wreckage after André Frey's crash on June 9th. Nine spectators were injured, but the damage would have been much worse if he had crashed further into the public enclosure and not right at the fence. (1)
The accident was thoroughly analyzed by a special commission, who made recommendations for the layout of spectator arrangements on future airfields. (6)
Illner's "Taube" after the crash at the start of his effort for the Budapest-Győr-Budapest prize on June 10th. (4)
Illner's wife running to the crash site, holding on to her hat. Her husband fortunately escaped without injury. (2)
Jorge Chávez' Farman on its back after being blown out of the hands of his crew members on June 10th. The machine looks repairable, but he didn't fly any more during the meeting. (3)
Brave freeloaders watching from the trees outside the airfield. (2)
Louis Wagner passing the finish line, as seen from the grandstands. (7)
The spectators in front of the grandstands, reflected in the standing water. (1)
Paulhan preparing for a flight with a Mrs Cartezával. (1)
Illner's "Taube" being retrieved after one of his three crashes, probably the one on June 15th. (2)
Wagner's Hanriot against stormy skies. (3)
Hubert Latham in the cockpit of his Antoinette. (3)
The weekly magazine "Tolnai Világlapja" claimed to have handed out a quarter of a million free programs. Here are some of the men who did it. (8)
Wagner passing one of the Sommers. (1)
Elegant visitors, with an Antoinette and an Hanriot in the background. (9)
Adolf Warchalowsky in the cockpit, together with archduchess Augusta. (10)
The reserved places at the centre of the main grandstand. (3)
André Frey flying above János Adorján's machine. (3)
Efimoff about to take off. (1)
Thr front page of the program of the meeting, which was published in both Hungarian and German.

Budapest is the capital of Hungary, which in 1910 was a kingdom and part of the Austro-Hungarian Habsburg Empire. The town is situated on both sides of the Danube, which in that area is a couple of hundred metres wide. In 1910 Budapest had around 750,000 inhabitants. Its population had tripled during the last 50 years and it was the undisputed centre of Hungary.

The Hungarian Aero Club was formed at the headquarters of the Hungarian Automobile Club in Budapest on February 26th, 1910. Plans for an aviation meeting were immediately announced, and the meeting was sanctioned by the FAI. Ambitions were very high - the meeting was planned for eleven days and the announced prize fund of no less than 500,000 Kronen was the biggest of any aviation meeting so far, by a broad margin. The meeting was heavily marketed and large crowds were expected. Huge grandstands and lavishly decorated entrance gates were built at the airfield, which was located at the Rákosmező cavalry exercise grounds some six kilometres east of the city centre.

A large number of flyers were contacted, at great cost, and several highly speculative and optimistic preliminary lists of participants were published. In total more than 80 different names appeared on those lists! One of them was veteran pilot Henri Rougier, who was tempted out of his recent retirement, reportedly by an offer of the enormous sum of 45,000 francs. Even completely unknown pilots got generous deals for participating. One of them was Austrian Paul Jaritz, who hadn't even flown under power yet but was still offered free transport and hotel rooms for appearing.

The final list of participants counted 49 entrants, more than at any meeting before. It was certainly inflated by the inclusion of more than a dozen optimistic Hungarian novices who had achieved little or nothing before the meeting, but it also contained several of aviation's biggest names, like Hubert Latham, Louis Paulhan, "Géo" Chávez, Michel Efimoff and Baronesse de Laroche. The meeting would also be the debut of several promising new designs, for example the Etrich "Taube", the Hanriot and Pischof Autoplan monoplanes and the Warchalowski "Vindobona" biplane.

The program included all the usual contests, with the addition of a 200,000 Kronen cross-country race from Budapest to Győr (Raab in German) and back and a "quality prize", where the flyers were awarded points for the results in different contests.

Sunday 5 June
The meeting opened in beautiful sunshine. It was almost too hot, which might have been the reason for the disappointing attendance, only around 40,000. Many of Budapest's high society were there, but the huge grandstands were far from full. It was perhaps too hot for machines too, because at half past two when the official flying was supposed to start nobody moved.

The first one to come out of the hangars was Paulhan, but he wanted to take advantage of the gusty winds to try for the take-off prize before making any long flights. He managed to jump off the ground in only 11.03 metres, which was claimed to be a world record and would remain unbeaten during the entire meeting. Efimoff also tried, but could do no better than 15 metres. They then tried for the speed prize. Efimoff landed soon again, but Paulhan's effort of 8:25 over the three laps was good enough to stand as the best result of the day. Both pilots then flew several laps for the distance and endurance prizes.

Apart from that, nothing very much happened until seven o'clock, when Nicolas Kinet, Alfred de Pischof and Louis Wagner took off. They were followed by Latham, but before completing the first lap he had engine problems and had to land in a sandy patch. The landing skid got stuck and broke and the landing gear and the right wing were rather badly damaged, but Latham escaped injuries. Then Eugen Wiencziers, Juan Bielovucic, Jorge Chávez and Adolf Warchalowski took off, making it seven machines in the air at the same time! Alfred Frey was the last to take off, competing with Chávez for the daily altitude prize and winning it by reaching 184.5 metres. Efimoff won the daily distance and endurance prizes by flying 59.840 kilometres in 1 h 01:17, before Kinet.

Monday 6 June
The second day of the meeting was rainy and thundery, and the grandstands didn't begin to fill until six o'clock. Flights began around half past three, but they were interrupted several times when rain-showers blew in from the Buda Hills in the west. Kinet and Wagner were first, followed by Rougier, but the latter landed again after only a couple of minutes. Paul Engelhard made a short flight to test his troublesome engine, and after his landing Bielovucic and Henri Jullerot made flights of some minutes. Chávez took off to go for the altitude prize, but he made a bad turn and crashed, fortunately escaping with minor bruises but damaging the landing gear, propeller and lower wings. At half past five Efimoff beat Alfred Frey to the daily altitude prize by reaching 255 metres, before a breathtakingly steep descent. Pischof also made a fine flight, but Wiencziers had engine problems and hardly left the ground. Wagner won the daily speed and distance prizes, while Efimoff took the endurance prize.

On the second day it was decided to give up trying to keep the spectators informed by hoisting signals in the traditional signal mast. It was replaced by announcement of the results on official blackboards in the spectator areas. This proved to be a success and certainly made the proceedings easier to follow for non-expert spectators.

Tuesday 7 June
The weather was fine around noon, but very changeable during the afternoon. The main event of the third day was the first of the three chances to win the Budapest-Győr-Budapest cross-country prize. This event had the fabulous prize fund of 200,000 Kronen, of which 100,000 to the the first to complete the course. The prize money was less than for the famous Daily Mail London-Manchester prize (won by Louis Paulhan less than six weeks earlier), but the course was longer and more difficult. The one-way straight-line distance was 116 kilometres, but it included several mountains and forests that had to be circumnavigated.

Three pilots had entered for the first day: Engelhard, Karl Illner and Pischof. Engelhard had found no solution to his engine problems and had to withdraw. Illner also decided against participating, since he still suffered from injuries after a recent accident at Wiener-Neustadt and didn't feel fit, particularly since it looked like the weather would be windy. Pischof took off in his monoplane at 14:56. Thanks to "Flugsport" we have his account of the flight:

"My machine was only readied in the last minutes, so I hardly had time to meet the fixed start time. I started directly from the hangars towards the airfield and got up immediately. After turning towards the grandstands, I flew first to the east and then turned again aiming towards the Buda Hills. I soon reached high altitude, around 200 to 300 metres, and flew over the suburbs, then over the Margaret Island.

I stayed at this altitude, and therefore the ground came closer when I approached the higher areas around Pilisvörösvár. I therefore decided to go higher, especially since I had always observed that when flying at high altitude the air currents are more uniform. When I had passed this high area, I looked for the pursuing cars and reduced the speed of my engine to 800 rpm in order for them to catch up. Soon I noticed a large dust cloud, which I guessed could only contain a speeding automobile. In front of the military camp of Piliscsaba, I could confirm that this presumption was correct. I could see people who were waving at me and greeting me. Then I saw a line of poplars, which I avoided, since my experience is that they always cause turbulence. I heard hurrahs from marching soldiers and turned to the left without losing sight of the automobile.

I had only flown a few minutes more when a huge storm appeared in front of me. At first I thought of going higher to fly around it, but I soon realised I had to take the safer option and think of landing instead. But a violent gust of wind carried me upwards and I had to work hard to keep my machine heading the right way. I didn't try to fight the gusts, but just waited for the machine to get steady again and demonstrate its great stability. After I had flown some time against the rising storm winds, rain and hail started coming down and forced me again to look for a landing-place. I turned towards the Danube and even though the rain whipped my face I soon spotted a suitable place on the banks of the river. I reduced the engine speed to idle and descended in a glide to find an acceptable field. In the last minute I had to make sure that I did not run into a herd of pigs or into the river. The descent went completely smoothly, although I could hardly see ten steps ahead."

He landed at 16:10, only metres from the river. After some 40 minutes the rain reduced and when Pischof had dried out his engine with the help of bypassing automobile drivers he decided to continue, in the hope of completing the course. He took off again from the wet field without any problems, his engine at full throttle and water and mud spraying off the wheels:

"For the second time I flew over the Danube, and I may have travelled 12 or 15 kilometres when I noticed that my engine wasn't running regularly. Therefore I had to decide to give up the journey and land. But once again a gust caught me, so I couldn't land at once. I finally managed to land from a height of 50 meters in a beautiful glide onto a farm field. The reason for the engine problems was that the ignition system had got wet.

I walked around 300 meters until I got to the main road, sat down on a milestone, and when an automobile came I started to whistle. The people in it did at first not want to help the dirty wanderer. It was not until I presented myself that they were kind enough to offer to drive me to Komárom, so that I could call my friends who could retrieve the machine. However, I met my friends already at Dunaalmás and returned with them. During the trip to Budapest, we met my wife, who had come to meet me by car. She hugged me, in tears because I had been reported to be in danger."

He didn't return to his hotel until after midnight, where his fiends were greatly relieved since they hadn't had any information about his whereabouts. His plane was dismantled at the Süttő railway station, from where it was driven back to Budapest.

When Pischof had left, normal proceedings started at the airfield. Illner, Wagner, Kinet, Efimoff, André Frey, Latham, Ernest Paul, Stefano Amerigo and Rougier made flights. Flying was interrupted around five o'clock when a thunderstorm arrived, which made archduke Josef postpone his plans for a passenger flight. Around six o'clock the rain stopped and Wagner and Latham took off, followed by de Laroche, who was congratulated by the archduke for her fine flight.

Around 19:10 Efimoff was caught by a gust, crashed heavily and was thrown off the machine. He was concussed and early reports stated that he had broken an arm or a foot and suffered internal injuries, depending on which report you trusted. He had to spend six days in hospital, but things were obviously not as bad as reported, since he was back at the airfield and flying again immediately after being released. Wagner won the daily distance prize in front of Kinet, Jullerot won the speed prize and Illner won the endurance and altitude prizes, the latter by reaching 449 metres, the highest so far during the meeting.

Wednesday 8 June
The fourth day of the meeting was thundery and there wasn't much flying during the early afternoon. The organizers had decided that efforts for the Budapest-Győr-Budapest race could now be made on any day, not just on the three previously announced days (7th, 10th and 13th). Illner declared that he would make an effort, but changed his mind when he learned that Pischof had protested against the decision. Pischof's protest was quite justifiable, since he had made his effort, in rather bad weather, on the previously announced day. Therefore his plane had been dismantled for the road transport and couldn't be flown in competition with Illner.

Archduke Josef, who followed the meeting every day, used the bad flying weather to be taken on a tour of the hangars of Pischof, Warchalowski, Rougier, Latham, Illner and de Laroche. In the late afternoon Wagner made a flight, which was cut short by engine trouble but still long enough to win the distance and endurance prizes. Latham and Bielovucic also had engine problems, the latter only completing one lap but Latham managing to win the speed prize. Chávez took the altitude prize with the result of 442 metres while Kinet and one of the Freys also took to the air. János Adorján was the first of the Hungarians to try his luck, but couldn't get off the ground.

Thursday 9 June
This day, another windy day, was remembered for several accidents, but there were also some good results. Illner, Wagner and Kinet were first to take off, around 17:15, followed by Latham, Chávez, André Frey, Paulhan and Engelhard. The latter two soon landed, but Latham took off again soon after and was the first accident victim. He crashed at 18:28 from an altitude of twelve metres when his engine blew, but he again escaped injuries. The next accident happened to Bielovucic, who clipped a pylon and crashed to the ground. His machine was badly damaged, but he too escaped unharmed. Kinet, de Laroche, Warchalowski, Rougier, Paulhan, Amerigo, Jullerot and Illner also flew.

The third and by far worst accident happened at 18:54, when André Frey had flown around 42 minutes. He arrived at a pylon in front of the 10-Kronen grandstands together with Illner and suddenly lost control of his Sommer. He crashed immediately inside the barriers in front of the grandstands and his machine hit several people. Frey was unharmed, but nine spectators were injured. The injuries ranged from minor cuts and bruises to broken arms, feet, ribs and collarbones and to concussions, head and ear injuries and life-threatening internal injuries. Volunteers took care of the injured and in the airfield hospital archduchess Augusta assisted the doctors.

As could be expected, opinions differed about who was to blame. Frey claimed that Illner hadn't kept proper distance when overtaking him and made him fly into his propeller wash, and that his elevator was damaged when the plane was upset. Illner stated the he too was surprised by the amount of turbulence at the turn and blamed the accident on the high winds and the turbulence set up by the nearby grandstands. A commission investigated the accident. The pilots were not blamed, even though there were complaints that particularly Illner had repeatedly flown above the spectators. The commission put the blame on the airfield installations, and prescribed that future rules for airfields should only allow grandstands to be arranged along the straights of the course and not on the outside of turns. The simple conclusion is probably that the airfield wasn't big enough for the three-kilometre course used.

Illner went on to beat Chávez to the daily altitude prize, by reaching 417 metres, and the speed prize. Wagner won the endurance and distance prizes. His distance of 137.385 kilometres would stand unbeaten during the meeting, while the time of 2 h 02:43 would be the second best.

Friday 10 June
Illner and Pischof had entered for the Budapest-Győr-Budapest prize, but only Illner actually tried, at around half past two, despite the high winds. Alfred Montigny had already crashed during the morning and damaged his Blériot. Illner's flight also ended in tears, already on the airfield, when a gust caught the plane and drove it into the ground from around 15 metres. The propeller, landing gear and left wing were destroyed, but Illner was not hurt. None of the other pilots was to make an effort to win the probably somewhat over-ambitious cross-country prize.

Because of the high winds there were no other flights until half past five, when Latham, reportedly in a brand new machine, Paulhan, Engelhard, Wagner and Chávez took off. The latter two were soon driven down by the winds. Wagner's machine flipped inverted during the landing and trapped the pilot below, fortunately without much harm to pilot or machine. Chávez's machine was man-handled back to the hangars when the wind lifted it out of the hands of his mechanics and flipped it inverted in front of the twenty-kronen grandstands, damaging particularly the upper wings.

Wagner still won the distance, endurance and speed prizes, in front of Engelhard, but the results were hardly impressive. Nobody qualified for the altitude prize.

Saturday 11 June
The winds were very strong, so all contests were called off. Amerigo, Warchalowski and Pischof still made some short test flights. Hungarian pilot Ernő Herczegh-Grünbaum also tried his machine, but couldn't get it off the ground.

The organizers announced new prizes for an obstacle course contest, for the best time above and below wires stretched 25 metres above the ground, separated by 150 metres. There are no reports of any efforts for this contest though, so it seems it never came off.

Sunday 12 June
The second Sunday of the meeting was the best flying day, and for once really big crowds were attracted. Many racing enthusiasts had visited the Derby Week of Vienna and then travelled to Budapest to watch the flying. Fifteen different pilots made flights, without any accidents or incidents. There were also fifteen passenger flights by Paulhan, Engelhard and Kinet. The passenger flights were very lucrative business for the flyers. Paulhan could charge 5,000 Kronen, an unskilled working man's salary for two or three years, for a short flight around the airfield with a rich nobleman or businessman aboard.

Several pilots who had not flown much before were also in the air after around five o'clock, when the winds had reduced, for example de Laroche, who was in the air for more than 40 minutes, and Ernest Paul. Hungarians János Adorján and Ernő Horváth made short flights of 40 and 18 seconds respectively, and Morris Bokor finally arrived to the airfield to boost the Hungarian hopes. Wagner made the longest flight of the meeting, 2 h 03:46.8. Latham's temperamental Antoinette engine for once worked well, enabling him to make the fastest flight of the meeting, with an average of 75.5 km/h over the three laps. Alfred Frey won the altitude prize with a flight of only 198 metres, before making a detour outside the airfield. This was frowned upon by the officials, but Frey blamed it on rudder problems. Warchalowski took the lead in the slow flight prize and Engelhard in the passenger prize. Efimoff had been released from the hospital and was back at the airfield.

Monday 13 June
The weather was very bad, with high winds and lots of rain. No flights were possible.

Tuesday 14 June
The early afternoon was very gusty and there were no flights until half past three, when Latham rolled his machine out of the hangar, followed by Kinet and Wagner. They were joined by Rougier, Efimoff, Alfred Frey, Jullerot, de Laroche and Pischof, but the latter had eaten some dodgy fish and suffered from food poisoning, so he landed after only three minutes. All in all seventeen pilots made flights.

The day's best performance was made by Paulhan. The world altitude record holder had made a bet that he would fly above 1,000 metres during the meeting, and after climbing for more than a quarter of an hour he won his money by reaching 1,060 metres. His quick climb and steep descent were applauded enthusiastically in the grandstand. This result would remain unbeaten during the meeting and of course also won him the daily altitude prize, far in front of Efimoff's 256 metres. Latham had reached 260, but his result was disallowed since he had taken off after the allowed time.

Five of the Hungarian pilots were out, but didn't achieve much. Adolf Hirsch and Károly Csermely flew distances of 200-300 metres and Mihály Székely flew 100 metres, while Adorján crashed and Horváth had engine troubles and couldn't get off the ground.

Wednesday 15 June
This was the last of the originally scheduled days of the meeting, but the organizers had already from the beginning of the meeting stated that it would last for eleven days and that spectators would be compensated for days when there was no flying, so it was extended for two days. Paulhan, Latham and de Laroche had to go home already on the 16th, but the last days still counted for the final results. This was a somewhat controversial rule, since it reportedly hadn't been mentioned in the French translation of the regulations...

The day started slowly, with a couple of rain showers, but in the end the crowd got to see quite a lot of flying. Two of the Hungarian machines, the Herczeg-Grünbaum and the Grusz monoplanes, were put out of action in the morning, when they collided on the ground during test runs. The best performance of the day was made of Latham, who reached 858 metres and thereby secured second place in the altitude prize. He started his flight at a quarter to five, after one of the rain showers. He didn't climb as quickly as Paulhan the day before, but circled slowly and methodically, both during climb and descent. Before landing he caused some excitement when he briefly disappeared out of view behind a hill and then suddenly appeared at low altitude and landed. He gave the reason for the unusual approach that he was running out of fuel and had to take the quickest way down. After the landing he got out of the plane and called for more fuel from a pylon station. Baronesse de Laroche heard the call and drove out with a canister of fuel, which enbled him to taxi back. Latham then made two further flights of in total around 50 minutes, also winning the daily endurance and speed prizes.

The baronesse herself made a flight at around seven o'clock, to the background of a rainbow and elegantly dressed in blue, according to a magazine report. Alfred Frey made three flights for the altitude prize and was in the air for around an hour, but couldn't reach any higher than 152 metres, which was still good enough for second. Wagner only flew two laps before a cylinder exploded. He had to make a quick emergency landing and his damaged machine had to be towed to the hangars. Montigny had repaired his machine after his crash on the Friday and made a couple of flights, reaching 20 metres of altitude and regaining some honour for the Blériots, who had been notable for their absence from the results. Engelhard secured the win in the passenger prize with a flight of more than one hour, which was also the day's second longest. Efimoff made four or five passenger flights. Kinet also made several passenger flights, but Paulhan only made one. Illner had also repaired his machine, but it was obviously not correctly rigged and he hit a pylon and crashed. The damages put him out of action for the rest of the meeting. Pischof made four efforts, but his engine didn't run well. Warchalowski made two passenger flights, with archduke Josef and archduchess Augusta as passengers, while Jullerot, Paul and Wiencziers also flew, the latter with a Gnôme engine instead of the troublesome Antoinette engine. At half past seven it started raining again, and that was the end of the day's flying.

Thursday 16 June
Rougier took off, but landed after only half a lap, like he had done several times before. His performance during the meeting had been very disappointing. He had officially retired after the Nice meeting, claiming that his nerves needed a rest, and it was speculated that he only went to Budapest to be able to cash in a last time on his past reputation. He had reputedly been paid the huge sum of 45,000 francs for his appearance, so he certainly didn't have to chase any prize money!

Warchalowski took the day's endurance and distance prizes, flying for more than an hour. Adorján and Székely made ground rolls, but didn't manage to lift off. Hirsch and Csermely made a short test. Kinet, Amerigo, Wiencziers, Jullerot and Engelhardt also flew, the latter with a passenger. Things were a bit lack-lustre, the three pilots who had left were missed. Chávez was also reputed to be out of town, nobody knew where. His machine, which should have been repairable after the incident a week earlier, had not been seen again. Efimoff was, like Latham, de Laroche and Chávez, entered at the Rouen meeting, which started on the 19th, and didn't fly during the last two days. There wasn't much to cheer about until the last flight of the day, when Jullerot took off in relatively hard wind and reached 137 metres before diving down to a perfect landing, thereby securing the daily altitude prize in addition to the speed prize that he had already won.

Friday 17 June
This was the day for the Hungarian national contest. It was preceded by controversy, since the other Hungarian flyers had filed a protest, claiming that the Voisin of Hirsch and Csermely wasn't eligible since it wasn't designed in Hungary. The protest was disregarded, since the regulations only stated that the pilots had to be of Hungarian nationality. Székely was first to try. His take-off went well and everything looked promising until the nose suddenly started to rise. It finally reached vertical and the machine fell on its tail, which was crushed under the weight and the force of the impact. Székely was buried in the wreckage, below the engine and the still rotating propeller. Assistance came running and riding from all directions, but he could fortunately make his way out of the wreckage unaided. The distance between the starting line and the accident site was measured to be 68 metres.

Wiencziers made a successful flight, obviously much happier with the Gnôme engine than with the Antoinette. Kinet, Jullerot, Paul, Engelhard and Montigny also flew, and at 17:15 Wiencziers took off for a second flight. It was soon noticed by people on the ground that two rigging wires were hanging loose below Wiencziers' left wing. They tried to shout and signal that he should land immediately. Kinet, who was still in the air and flying nearby, flew close and also made signals with both hands, but Wiencziers didn't notice anything. Suddenly the wings folded upwards above the fuselage and the machine fell to the ground from 35 metres. The engine and the fuel tank were thrown several metres from the front fuselage, which crumpled completely. Policemen, ambulances and spectators once again came rushing to the wreck, fearing the worst. It took ten anguished minutes before a car drove back to the hangars with the good news that Wiencziers was in relatively good shape. He had managed to jump off immediately before the machine hit the ground. His clothes were torn, he had cuts and bruises and he stated that he had got his mouth and eyes full of sand and dirt, but nothing was broken. The same could not be said about the machine, the parts of which which were eagerly collected and carried off as souvenirs.

Kinet, Amerigo, Jullerot, Warchalowski and Engelhard took off. The crowds in one of the enclosures had a fright when Warchalowski lost his course and headed towards them at an altitude of less than ten metres. They had learned from André Frey's accident and rushed for cover, but Warchalowski managed to turn away at the last moment. Adorján took off and took the lead in the national contest by reaching 85 metres. The next to fly, around 18:30, were Montigny and Jullerot, who both flew a couple of laps. Around 18:45 Hirsch took off and made a flight of 1,500 metres, which would easily have been enough to win the national prize, but since he hadn't made his flight within his prescribed time the result was disallowed.

At seven o'clock Horvath took off after a long ground roll and flew 108.30 metres, which was enough to win the national prize! The audience welcomed him enthusiastically and he was brought to the jury's box after landing. This kind of results was of course not what the Hungarian aviation enthusiasts had hoped for, but most of the Hungarian machines were untested and underpowered. The only Hungarian who had achieved any flights to speak of before the meeting was Aladár Zsélyi, but he crashed badly only four days before the start of the meeting. He was actually reported as killed in several aviation magazines, and still features in some lists of the first victims of aviation, but he recovered to fly again.

Kinet was the last one to fly. He flew a couple of laps before going for higher altitudes, eventually reaching 193 metres to claim the altitude prize, in addition to the time and distance prizes that he had already won, before gracefully descending to a perfect landing. This was the last action before a cannon-shot marked the end of the meeting. Jullerot had already won the speed prize.

In the final summary, Wagner won the endurance and distance prizes, Paulhan the altitude prize and the take-off prize, Latham the speed prize, Kinet the total flight time prize, Engelhardt the passenger prize and Alfred Frey the slow flying prize. Wagner also won the "quality prize", a novelty for this meeting, which was based on points awarded for placement in the different contests. It's interesting to note that Wagner and Kinet, who won most money and flew by far the most during the meeting, both formally were debutants and qualified for the "beginners' prize"!

The arrangements at the airfield and the running of the event were praised. The organizers did manage to deliver the biggest aviation meeting so far, and the total distance flown beat all previous meetings. From a sporting point of view the results of the meeting were respectable, but not overwhelming. The prestigious cross-country prize was not won, and the only record broken was the relatively insignificant take-off distance record. The meeting was thoroughly analysed in the Austrian and German aviation press and one of the conclusions was that eleven days was too long and that the novelty of seeing airplanes circulating slowly and safely around a course in order to win distance prizes wore off after a couple of days. Several reporters complained that the famous well-paid French pilots didn't take any risks and were more interested in counting their money and making profitable passenger flights. Fingers were particularly pointed at Henri Rougier, who only made some short flights of in total twenty-one minutes during the entire meeting.

From a financial point of view the meeting was a disaster, leaving piles of unpaid bills. The organizers had of course been unlucky with the bad weather that reduced the attendance, which was far from the optimistic forecasts, but they had also spent far too much money, particularly on expensive contracts with foreign pilots. To make things worse, they also got a couple of nasty surprises. During the last days of the meeting it was found out that an employee who was tasked with numbering of the tickets that were received from a printing company had kept tickets for himself and sold them, with the help of several accomplices, at a lower price. He had received tickets worth 1,200,000 Kronen, but only delivered tickets for 1,100,000.

The transport arrangements for the participants also turned into an expensive mess. The organizers had made a fixed-price agreement with a transport company for bringing the airplanes to the meeting and back. During the meeting the company made additional demands, which the organizers refused. As a consequence Paulhan's machine, one of the first to leave, was delivered together with a "cash-on-delivery" charge of 10,500 francs. The transport company also pocketed a customs deposit of 33,500 Kronen that the Aero Club had made. The organizers had no choice but to seize eleven planes from the company and arrange their transport themselves. This of course led to further expenses, and to delays that made some flyers miss following appointments.

In October it was reported that it had cost 976,557 Kronen to organize the meeting, which was around three times as much as the 1909 Reims meeting, while the income was only 431,691. The municipality of Budapest had guaranteed 250,000 Kronen, but they would have to pay a lot more...

(In Hungary, names are usually given with the family name before the given name. To avoid confusion, all names are presented with the family name last.)

Back to the top of the page