The Kolomyazhsky Hippodrome airfield
Measuring the wind from the timing pavillion. (1)
The Kolomyazhsky Hippodrome was situated north of central Saint
Petersburg. It opened in 1892 and horse races were held there until
the First World War. It was a popular place to visit and well served
by tramways. It was used for flying experiments by the Russian Aero
Club already in 1908 and French automobile racer and flyer Albert
Guyot displayed his Blériot there in November 1909.
The measured course used for the competitive events of the meeting
was laid out along the race track and was marked by three pylons,
presumably at the apexes of the track's corners. It was 725
fathoms long, around 1,326 metres.
The times for official flights were between two and six o'clock
in the afternoon on Sundays, and between five and nine o'clock on
The May 1910 meeting was the last major aviation event held there.
Later in the year a purpose-built airfield, the Komendantsky
Aerodrome, was opened immediately to the west, on the other side of
the Kolomyazhsky Prospekt.
The racecourse was closed after the revolution. The grandstands were
demolished in 1919 and the other buildings were used as warehouses
until the area was developed for housing. The neighbouring
Komendantsky airfield continued to be used by the armed forces until
it was officially closed in 1963, also to make place for the housing
needs of the growing city.
This map shows the location of the triangular race course of the
hippodrome. Immediately on the west side of the Kolomyazhsky
Prospekt is the rectangular Komendantsky Aerodrome, which was built
later in 1910. (2)
Wiencziers' crashed Antoinette in front of the beautifully
decorated grandstands of the racecourse. (1)
Visitors in front of the line of hangars. Morane's Blériot and
Christiaens' Farman can be seen. (1)
Too see more details, open the map in Google Maps by clicking the
"full screen" symbol at the top right of the menu bar!