The Dominguez Hill airfield
The Dominguez Hill airfield was located in Compton,
around 20 kilometres south of central Los Angeles. It was
situated on a low mesa west of Dominguez Junction, which
was served by both trains and trams. The field was part
of the large estate of the Dominguez family, one of the
earliest land-owners of the area, who let it be used for
free for the aviation meeting.
The field was not level, the western end was some 27
metres higher than the eastern. On its south side a big
grandstand was built, more than 200 meters long and with
a capacity of some 20,000-25,000 people. The field itself
was prepared by harrowing and rolling. There were two
courses, marked by pylons. One was a 2.592 km (1.61
miles) seven-pylon course for speed events, the other was
a 4.442 km (2.761 miles) four-pylon course for endurance
flying. Planes and airships were housed in tent hangars,
some inside the course and some behind the
The airfield was used for two more meetings, in December
1910 and in 1912. The site is today covered by streets
and buildings and completely unrecognizable.
A plan view of the airfield, with north downwards.
for a high-resolution version!
There were three big tents inside the course. The
Curtiss team and the Paulhan team had one each, and
local aviators had the third. (2)
The western end of the grandstand and one of the
secondary hangar tents behind it. These housed the
dirigibles and the the planes of the less known
A view from the grandstand, looking down towards the
reserved boxes in front of them. One of the pylons can
be seen near the centre of the photo and another near
the left edge. (3)
The concession area at the entrance to the airfield.
Too see more details, open the map in Google Maps by
clicking the "full screen" symbol at the top
right of the menu bar!
Back to the top of the page