The Tablada airfield
The site chosen for the 1910 Sevilla meeting was La
Dehesa de Tablada, "the Tablada fields", which
were owned by the city of Sevilla and apart from pasture
used for activities like bullfights, horse racing and
football. The field was situated around three kilometres
south of the city centre, close to a stretch of the
Guadalquivir that was filled during the 1920s in one of
the several relocations of the river. The existing
infrastructure was presumably used, but hangars, nine by
ten metres, were built for the airplanes, and the whole
field was fenced in.
The town of Sevilla handed over the field to the military
authorities in 1914. In 1915 it was opened for training
of pilots and observers. During the 1920s parts of it
were opened for commercial operations. The airfield was
used by the German "Condor Legion" during the
Spanish civil war and in 1968 it was used for shooting
some scenes of the movie "Battle of Britain".
The last combat units left the airfield in 1963 and
flying activities ceased in 1990. The current Sevilla-San
Pablo airport was opened in the late 1940s.
We don't know the exact layout of the 1910
installations. This 1915 map shows the horse race
course to the right and the first plans for a military
airfield at Tablada. North is at three o'clock. The
stretch of the Guadalquivir along the right edge of the
map was bypassed and filled during the end of the
This is an aerial view of the race course during the
mid-1920s. The military airfield is at the left bottom
of the image. The buildings between the race course and
the airfield still exist.
Too see more details, open the map in Google Maps by
clicking the "full screen" symbol at the top
right of the menu bar!