The Blackpool airfield
After visiting several potential sites, the
Blackpool Corporation and the Aero Club decided to build
the airfield for the 1909 aviation meeting on grounds
between Squires Gate and St. Annes-on-Sea, around three
kilometres south of Blackpool. The field was situated
along the Great Western Railway, less than a kilometre
away from the sea, but the organizers optimistically
stated that the field would be protected from the
prevailing westerly wind by the sand dunes and the 10-15
metre high railway bank. Trams ran all the way to the
northern gates of the airfield, so it would be convenient
for visitors.
For the 1910 Flying Carnival only the northern part of
the 1909 field was used, and the length of the
rectangular marked course was reduced to one mile (1,609
m). The grandstands and hangars were completely
rearranged in a much smaller area. It was hoped to
establish it as a permanent airfield, with permanent
hangars and grandstands, but after the huge losses of the
Carnival these plans came to nothing.
In 1911 the Clifton Park racecourse opened on the site.
It went bankrupt in 1915 and the site was requisitioned
for a military hospital, the Lancashire Military
Convalescent Home. This closed in 1924, and afterwards
the field was occasionally used for flying, and from 1933
for greyhound racing. Scheduled flights from the field
started in 1933, in competition with the Stanley Park
airfield east of Blackpool, which had been opened in
1928. The airfield was expanded and used by minor
airlines until 1937, when it was taken over by the Air
Ministry and civilian operations moved to Stanley Park.
It was further expanded and became RAF Squires Gate,
which was used by several squadrons and training units
during WW2. Some 2,500 Vickers Wellington bombers were
produced in a Ministry of Aircraft Production factory at
the northeast corner of the field. Some airlines started
using the field in 1946 and the airfield became civilian
again in 1949. It was renamed Blackpool Airport and used
by several airlines. After a series of ownership changes
commercial flights ceased in 2014. The terminal building
was demolished in 2016, and the airfield is now mainly
used by flying clubs and by offshore helicopter and
executive flight operators.

The plan of the airfield from meeting program. North is
at seven o'clock.
The hangars for biplanes on the second day of the
meeting. Due to rain and delayed construction work only
one of them has a roof. (1)
Claude Grahame-White and his
Farman in front of the hangars. (2)
Outside the main entrance on Squires Gate Lane.
(3)
Too see more details, open the maps in Google Maps by
clicking the "full screen" symbol at the top
right of the menu bar!
Back to the top of the page