The Biarritz-Bayonne airfield
The airfield was situated in the valley of the river Nive, around
six kilometres away from each of the neighbouring towns Biarritz and
Bayonne. We don't know of the exact position or layout, but it is
stated to have been between the road from Biarritz to Ustaritz and the
river, close to Bassussary. More detailed information would be
The airfield was triangular, with sides of 1,200 m, 1,200 m and 1,500
m, and with a course that was 180 m wide. A special railway station was
planned and the airfield could also be reached by boat on the
As usual, trees were removed and a great number of ditches had to be
boarded over. Large grandstands and several hangars were built.
The airfield was only used a couple of years. The Aéroclub de Biarritz
wanted a field closer to the town and in 1911 moved activities to the
Chambre d'Amour field north of the town. The current Biarritz-Parme
airport was opened in 1922.
The hangars, with Burgeat's Antoinette showing. (1)
The grandstands. (1)
The timing pavillion. (2)
Too see more details, open the map in Google Maps by clicking the
"full screen" symbol at the top right of the menu bar!