The airfield at Hipódromo Can Tunis
The 1910 Barcelona meeting was held at the horse-racing course
"Can Tunis", located some three kilometres south-west of the
city centre, on the plains between the famous Montjuich mountain and
the Llobregat river. The organizers had secured surrounding areas so
that a field with a circumference of five kilometres could be used.
Transport to the racecourse had been problematic in the past, since
there was only a single-track railway with some level crossings, but
the railway company had agreed to lay down a second track to enable the
crowds to efficiently get to within some hundred metres off the
airfield. The racecourse itself had been furnished with expanded
grandstands and several new access gates. Eight hangars were built
close to the grandstands, one for each of the optimistically expected
In those days the racecourse was right on the outskirts of the town,
with farmland to the west and to the south. Nowadays it is
unrecognizable, covered by the infrastructure of Barcelona's huge
"Porto Franco" harbour. The race course continued to be used
as an airfield, but was finally closed in 1933.
The exact layout of the airfield is not known, but this map, probably
from the 1930s, shows the location of the "Hipódromo" in
relation to Montjuich and the harbor - more information would be
welcome! North is indicated by the arrow.
Olieslagers flying high above the grandstands. On the ground
Barrier's #4 plane in front of an unmarked Blériot, presumably de
Lesseps' or Simon's. (1)
Too see more details, open the map in Google Maps by clicking the
"full screen" symbol at the top right of the menu bar!